Enhancing Postpartum with Ayurveda
with Terra Rafael
Postpartum is a time when women can rejuvenate OR become weaker. Teachings of Ayurveda tell how to use this time for rejuvenation. When women are cared for, their digestion re-ignited, their Vata soothed, they benefit greatly, sometimes healing long-standing imbalances and problems AND their babies receive excellent milk to grow on.
This class is designed for students becoming Ayurvedic Postpartum Doulas and is suitable for Ayurvedic Doctors and Practitioners as well as highly motivated others. A background in Ayurveda is recommended. If you are new to Ayurveda, at least take Beginning Ayurveda beforehand.
It is approved for 4 PACE CEUs by NAMA, with requirement of the exam after doing class videos and readings.
Learning Objectives – Enhancing Postpartum with Ayurveda
- Explain to a client why Ayurvedic postpartum care is helpful to women.
- List the nine principles of postpartum care with Ayurveda and why each is important.
- Name 5 actions a pp mother can do for a smoother postpartum.
- Name 5 things or actions a pp mother should avoid.
- List the danger signs of pp for the mother.
- List 5 danger signs of the newborn.
- Describe advice and actions to take with a clinet who has mild postpartum depression.
- Demonstrate knowledge of normal breastfeeding.
- Name three things to encourage a good milk supply in the mother.
- Describe vitiated breast milk and demonstrate knowledge of treating it.
Included in This Class
60 pages of NOTES Enhancing Postpartum and Newborn with Ayurveda
Session A Video : Enhancing postpartum 7A (43min)
Intro and Anatomy and Physiology of Postpartum.
- Explanatory Concept: Postpartum As A Long Menstrual Menses;
- Ayurvedic Anatomy And Physiology Of Postpartum;
- Involution Of The Uterus;
- How Uterine Contractions Prevent Excess Bleeding Postpartum; Normal Blood Loss; Oxytocin- Breast-Uterus Connections; Placental Site Healing And Normal Lochia;
- Why Breastfeed Before The Milk Is In;
- Changes Of The Yoni/ cervix;
- Beginnings of Breastfeeding
- Majja Dhatu- Hormonal Changes In The Postpartum;
- Cardio-vascular system – anemia, Heart & Feet Are Permanently Larger;
- Social Changes For Mom; For Dad; Need for social support
- Introduction To Ysha ‘s Nine Principles Of Postpartum; Postpartum Help Needs
Session B Video: Enhancing PP – session B (49:33)
Routine Postpartum Care of Mom, tuned to individual
- Ayurveda for Postpartum – An Introduction – Illustrating the Nine Ayurveda Principles for Postpartum from Ysha Bhu – Predominantly Vata Reduction
- Digestive support /Agni supporting practices
- Breastfeeding – a basic outline – including how to test for doshas in breast milk; treating for vitiated milk; the best lactation herbs according to Ysha
Session C Video: Enhancing PP – Session C (47:26)
Postpartum Concerns of Mom, including Breastfeeding; Ayurvedic PP care helps to prevent concerns
- Constipation – causes and helps; ( Post- Surgical Birth special care;)
- Hot Flashes – causes and helps (placenta cocktail – for hot flashes and prevent pp depression)
- UTI, some causes, concerns and prevention – helps
- Postpartum Infection, rare but needs immediate attention – prevention (in notes) , symptoms and referral
- Late Postpartum Hemorrhage, rare but needs immediate attention – signs ; Vaginal steam to cleanse uterus 3, 6, 9 days pp
- Vaginal Hematoma, Prevention (in notes) signs and concerns; homeopathic helps
- Thrombophlebitis/Pulmonary Embolism, rare but needs immediate attention, prevention, signs and concerns
- Postpartum Depression; V pushes K or P; tendency before then more likely pp; breastfeeding hormones decrease pp depression; Herbal formulas, brahmi oil, marma points for moods & balancing hormones; normal emotions and exhaustion of pp; social group – birth lodge as prevention for pp depression; severe depression and pp psychosis
- Breastfeeding slide show: Obstacles; Needs of BF Mothers; Milk, Causes of “bad” milk, Types of Breast milk; Ayurveda’s Classes of Breastmilk; Immunologic Advantages; Nutritional Advantages; Psychosocial Advantage; Signs Of Healthy Breast Milk, Signs and Symptoms of vitiated milk; Improving Vitiated Milk
- Lactation Herbs Per Ysha.
- Herbal Principles for treating breastfeeding women, “When in doubt, don’t”
- Breastfeeding concerns – Sore breasts, cracked nipple, blocked ducts, mastitis – causes and prevention; protocols (in notes)
Ayurveda for Postpartum Slide Show pdf
Session D Video : Enhancing PP w Ayur – D .( 51:06)
Newborn Postpartum and Concerns
- Prakruti Of Baby
- Newborn care with Ayurveda (slide show) –
- Prakruti of the baby; Examples – Vata baby; Pitta baby; and Kapha baby;
- Immediate Care Of Newborn;Newborn Exam;
- traditional feeding until milk came in;
- Danger Signs Of Newborn;
- Normal Infant Stools; Diarrhea; Constipation; Herbs for Baby’s digestion;
- Oil Massage Of Baby;
- Babies are never left alone;
- Newborn Habits;
- Concerns Of Newborn (all in notes): (Newborn Infection, Newborn Jaundice, Constipation/Diarrhea, Failure To Thrive, Rashes)
Newborn Slide show PDF
Optional Test PDF – needed for Certificate of Completion
Certificate of Completion
How to Receive a Certificate of Completion
- Read the notes and View the Video Classes
- Copy the Test and email it to Terra Rafael at firstname.lastname@example.org or print and mail to Terra Rafael, 705 Paschal Dr, Lafayette, CO 80026, including your name and email address
- Terra will review your exam, make comments, and, if you have demonstrated your understanding in the exam, email you a certificate of completion which you can apply to Continuing Education Credits, such as NAMA PACE.
- If you didn’t pass the first time you may retake the test a second time and submit as before.
You may also want a mentoring session with Terra to discuss your questions:
Or if you are designing your own postpartum plan, you may want a personal consultation with Terra via phone or webcam.