Ayurveda describes a special substance, OJAS, as key to our health. Ojas has preservative and disease resistant functions. It also supports the healthy functioning of body, mind and senses. It normally flows throughout the body, empowering the organs & tissues that are most active. Western science has not exactly found it, however, some think some types of prostaglandins may be similar. Ojas is created when you have good digestion – not only in your digestive tract but throughout your body. This means if your tissues are out of balance, your immune system is somewhat compromised. So supporting the ojas is done by having healthy digestive system AND healthy blood, lymph,, muscles, fat, bones, nervous and reproductive tissues.
There are some special foods that more directly support ojas. These foods are healthy foods that are sweet tasting, viscous, cool, and easily digestible. Examples are (all organic is best!):
- organic,grass-fed dairy (especially milk & ghee),
- grapes, dates, natural sugars,
- seeds & nuts , especially soaked & peeled almonds and sesame seeds,
- sesame oil,
- whole grains (especially wheat & basmati rice),
- root vegetables.
Be aware that too much sugar can also reduce your immune system, so moderation of sugar is required. Of course, those with either hyper- or hypo-glycemia should avoid sugars and dried fruits of any kind. Digesting the fatty foods require a good liver-gall bladder function.
Some Ayurvedic herbs that can support ojas are: ashwagandha (not if thyroid meds), shatavari, oat straw infusion. Especially good is tea or capsules of Tulsi (holy basil) leaf – it is an adaptogen especially helpful for stress and supporting the immune system – generally safe for pregnancy and children. It comes in various flavors – see www.OrganicIndiaUSA.com
How Ojas Is Depleted
While making ojas is a problem, another is using up ojas. Activities or problems that deplete the ojas you have are:
- lack of sufficient sleep
- too much sexual activity
- blood loss
Ways To Increase Ojas
Because of its subtle nature, ojas can be increased by subtle activities like meditation,
- Meditation including Guided meditations and using Mantras of om, ram , or maa
- Healthy lifestyle
- Avoiding activities that give mental tension
- Rasayanas – ojas foods or medicine
- Being in nature
- Supporting the reproductive, thymus & adrenal glands
- Tonic & rejuvenative herbs
- Oil massages
- Conserving sexual energy
- Deep sleep and sufficient rest
- Wearing pearls
- Wearing gemstones of Yellow Sapphire and Diamond
- The practice of selfless service
- Spiritual devotional practices
If you would like a personalized approach to supporting your immune system and digestion, I can help you! In person sessions allow me to read your ojas level in your pulse. Online sessions I can evaluate through questioning.
You may like to learn more about Ayurveda – principles, digestion, lifestyle guidelines and more here.